Monday, March 19, 2012

Still Here

I'm still so overwhelmed with deadlines that I can barely justify eating lunch, but I'm making a bit of headway, finishing one major deadline, and chopping away at some intermediate overlapping deadlines here and there. But new deliverables keep getting dumped into my lap and I still see no end in sight, exCEPT that I plan to say to hell with it all, come my daughter's spring break from university. Clients stare wide-eyed as I tell them my daughter takes priority, but they don't argue. Of course the load will be even heavier when I come back to it all, but live for today, ey?

In the meantime, I have a couple of minutes breathing time, so I'm posting a nice number just to let you know I'm still here and hope you'll still keep coming back. And thank you to all you nice folks who have been supportive in stressful times, even though you have stressful times of your own.

This cover has been seen elsewhere on the net, but this is my scan of the magazine in my collection, which is in lovely condition, even though it's nearly 78 years old. What a lovely design and rendering, with no blurbs at all! Many illustrators could be turning out this kind of quality, and many of us would buy more magazines, if only art directors and editors took a stand against the same ol' same ol' that we see on the newsracks.

John Holmgren — Judge — July 1934

9 comments:

Kid said...

Good to see you're still around Thom. You must surely be rich by now with all the work you're getting. (I'm going to start work on my begging letter any time soon.) Keep slogging away.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Kid, a daughter in college precludes being rich. Hey, she's going to study in London in the fall!

plaisanter said...

Holmgren is one of my favorite cover/magazine artists and this one is magnificent! Perhaps one day I’ll be able to add it to my collection. Thank you for posting it, and I hope all goes well with your work.

Salo said...

(I posted previously but it seems to have vanished - oh well.)

I just wanted to say that your blog is still really cool and that I've added you to my RSS-reader. So even if you take a bit more time between updates, I'm still going to get them all! I suppose this goes for majority of your readers.

So don't stress on our behalf. We're still here when you have time.

Thanks for the great blog.

Annie said...

Hi Thom,

Time with your daughter during Spring Break is more important than anything else you can do. I'm sure you'll get through those deadlines, and over time, everything will settle out and become more manageable.

It's a great cover. Like you said, covers like that would draw attention and stand out for their quality.

churchy la femme said...

glad you are back, Thom!

Sam G said...

Family comes first. Great to see some posts from you. ;)

joe ackerman said...

take your time, Bud. if nothing else, the past couple of months have proven to me that family's just about all you're ever gonna need in this life, matey. peace!

Yves Ker Ambrun said...

Glad you had time to post this masterpiece, Thom. But please don't overreach yourself for our selves. We owe you already so much...
Secondly this artwork reminds me a lot of the work of Alex Séverin. Just thought I'd mentioned it, not that a lot of people will know who he is...
Anyway, wonderful! Thanks!